I graduated in summer 2017 with a 2:1 BA degree in English Literature and Creative Writing from Newcastle University. Since graduating I have worked at Librios©, a company which develop information management systems, as a Researcher which involved website concept and content development. I am currently working part-time as Content Manager at Editorial Nascimento© where I am involved with the re-launch of the publishing house. I am currently looking for a full-time position within the publishing sector and have career aspirations to have a senior position in a leading publishing house.
- Content Manager – at Editorial Nascimento© (April 2018- ongoing): This role involves the creation, editing and publishing of online content for re-establishing a publishing house. I am responsible for the company’s social media profiles and carry out market research which I use to decide the appropriate movements in terms of online marketing. I also attend meetings with the company CEO where we discuss future projects, and I have responsibility for agendas and taking minutes.
- Market researcher/assistant – at Librios© (September 2017 – February 2018): My role involved two separate projects. Firstly, I was responsible for researching projects, market research and associated report writing. The second project had a creative focus and involved concept development linking art and science.
- Receptionist – Community Centre, Billingshurst (2013-2014, 2017): including liaising with other staff and clients.
- Sales Assistant – Montezuma’s, Horsham and Hotel Chocolat, Newcastle (2013-2014, 2015, 2017): cashier and sales.
- Exhibitor PR assistant – Goodwood Festival of Speed (2016, 2017): point of contact for public, including potential clients.
- Internships (short-term) – at Brides magazine and The Daily Mail, and at a contemporary fashion brand (June 2016); role included proof reading, sorting post, being a runner at fashion shoots and in the office, writing, editing and formatting pieces for the newspaper (The Daily Mail).
- Runner– for a film maker at King’s College London (2015).
- Promotional writing – Napier University Edinburgh (2013): work experience developing content for a university website.
BA degree (2017): 2:1 in English Literature and Creative Writing from Newcastle University
A-level results (2014): English Literature A*, English Language A, Biology A
AS result (2013): History B
GCSE results (2012): 4 A*s – English Literature, English Language, Chemistry, Textiles. 8 As – Biology, Physics, Maths, History, French, Art, IBEC, Psychology. Distinction – IT.
Experience and skills –
Writing: I have experience and enjoy creative and critical writing, as well as developing promotional content. During my university degree I learnt to write in different formats including presentations, essay, reports, reviews, article and educational posters. I also learnt the importance of writing to a specific audience and understanding tone. I have had a blog since 2013 where I share my creative work, particularly poetry, alongside some thought pieces and reviews. I think this has been essential in terms of understanding my writing style and voice. I have also written for the university paper and am currently creating another blog to examine and explore the history of Vogue using magazines from 1962 that I recently inherited. This is proving to be an immensely enjoyable experience and is allowing me to explore different writing styles.
Technology: I have undergone WordPress© and InDesign© courses to build my digital skills to suit the changing technological landscape and to maximise the efficiently with which I can develop and edit multi-media content. I am competent with Microsoft Office©, including Excel©, Powerpoint© and Word©, and Photoshop©.
Communication: In my current and previous roles I have learnt how to interact and communicate appropriately with different people at a range of professional positions and from diverse backgrounds, over email, on the phone and in person. I have learnt how to communicate complex ideas across succinctly at an appropriate level for the audience. Whilst at University I was able to build my public speaking skills as a large part of the course involved sharing creative writing with other students and lecturers. My good interpersonal skills mean I work well as part of a team, and as I have had to present group projects and assist in group theatre performances I am now a confident speaker.
Organisation: I am incredibly organised and have learnt how to effectively manage my time during my degree and professional career. I also have great administrative skills and have a keen attention to detail. I have had to manage multiple projects at the same time, under pressure and to deadlines. I gained organisational skills whilst doing internships at Brides and The Daily Mail, where I coordinated the mail and organised the fashion rooms. I have always enjoyed organisational roles, for example I was part of a small team that organised the graduation ball whilst still at sixth form. I also volunteered during fresher’s week in my final year of university. This taught me the importance of a well organised event and allowed me to take control of situations and work in an effective team, and overall be proud of what I have contributed and created.
Ambition and independent thinking: As Researcher at Librios© I worked independently and learnt how to use and trust my initiative, working to strict deadlines and on different projects at the same time which required me to prioritise projects. I am incredibly self-motivated and understand when and how I work effectively. I have worked part-time from a young age across a range of positions and am a loyal and reliable employee. I believe I am motivated by the enjoyment and thrill I get out of completing tasks and seeing projects to the end.
Personal Profile –
At university I was a member of the theatre society and helped with costume design and creation for two of the productions. I was also a member of the English Society and played in the English society netball team. I enjoy attending contemporary theatre and poetry readings and am currently working with an illustrator to create a poetry zine which we will be self-publishing this year. I was really pleased when a monologue I wrote for an open-call for a play on women in film was recently selected as one of twelve to be performed and published. I am also teaching myself Spanish and have a keen interest in travel and spent two months in Australia and New Zealand. I spent a lot of my time learning new skills such as surfing, and developing previous hobbies such as hiking, photography and art.
I have a clean full driving licence.